Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Weatherman was right :-(

Yes, it rained off and on all day. It did not keep us from driving to Victoria though. We had a good visit with our friend in the hospital. He is getting better every week. Physiotherapy sure has done wonders for him.
I baked some soft ginger mounds this morning to take with us and of course there were some for us too. Unfortunately they are my favourite cookie and I did not hold back ☺
I tried out a new recipe for lunch but it did not turn out as nice as I thought it would. Cauliflower, lean ground beef mixed with onions, salt and pepper in a casserole with cream, egg and grated cheese on top and baked in the oven. Now I will turn it into soup hoping it will be better.
We watched the DVD last night  that I borrowed from the library. "Alone in the wilderness" It was really good. A 50 year old man decided to live in the wilderness by a lake.
"Dick Proenneke retired at age 50 in 1967 and decided to build his own cabin on the shore of Twin Lakes. The first summer he scouted for the best cabin site, and cut and peeled the logs he would need for his cabin. Dick Proenneke returned the next summer to finish the cabin where he lived for over 30 years. Dick filmed his adventures, and Bob Swerer later turned the film into a video so we can all watch this amazing man build his cabin by hand."
This is his cabin which is now a heritage site.

DickProennekeCabin


Good night everybody ☺

3 comments:

  1. You have to limit those sorts of dvd's or before you know it Cliff will have you living in a cabin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vera--will you share your cookie recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to live in a cabin. When I was younger, I even wanted to take part in building it (you notice I didn't want to build it all by myself though).

    ReplyDelete